Get the right carbs from whole fruit and vegetables. Here are some great options for getting good sugars and carbohydrates in this week’s recipe for a simple, tasty and healthy kale salad.
- ¼ cup tahini
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp tamari
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1 medium fennel bulb
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1 large bunch curly kale, stemmed and coarsely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1 medium sweet crisp apple cored and cut into ¼-inch dice
- Sea salt and ground pepper
- In a bowl, whisk together tahini, vinegar, olive oil, and tamari. Once smooth, stir in shallot, Let sit at room temperature for at least 10 minutes allowing flavors to meld.
- Meanwhile, trim fennel. Cut the bulb in half and use a mandolin to make very thin shavings. Place shavings in a sieve, dunk them into a bowl of ice water, and add lemon juice. Let fennel chill for several minutes until it becomes very crisp, then drain it.
- Place kale, carrot, apple, and fennel into a bowl. Add as much dressing as desired. Toss salad by hand, gently massaging kale to tenderize. Add more dressing if needed. Season with salt and pepper to taste.