Our version of the party-friendly, fresh-baked lasagna features whole-wheat pasta nestled between layers of ground turkey, spinach, mushrooms, crushed tomatoes, low-fat mozzarella and fat-free cottage cheese. And while it may look like our recipe requires quite a few steps, this one is actually rather easy. Simply prep the ingredients for each layer, do the layering, bake and you’re done!
- 2 Bunch Of Spinach
- 2 tsp Olive Oil
- 1 medium White Onion
- 1 lb White Mushrooms
- 1/4 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1/4 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 2 clove garlic
- 1 lb Ground Turkey
- 2 cups Small Curd Fat Free Cottage Cheese
- 1 cup Greek Fat Free Yogurt, Plain
- 1 cup Basil, fresh
- 28 oz canned crushed tomatoes
- 14 piece Oven Ready Lasagna Pasta
- 8 oz Low Fat Mozzarella Cheese
- Preheat your oven to a medium high baking temperature of 350°F.
- Over a steamer filled with a ¼ inch of boiling water, steam spinach in batches until it wilts, then dunk in a bowl of ice water, drain and press in a towel (or paper towels) to remove all the moisture. Chop and reserve.
- Chop onions and reserve.
- Slice mushrooms. Warm a wide saute pan over medium heat. When hot, add 1 teaspoon oil and wait for it to ripple. Add mushrooms, season with salt and pepper and cook until they have color and most of their moisture disappears.
- Remove from the pan (keeping it on the heat) and reserve the mushrooms.
Add onions to pan and cook until translucent. Add garlic and turkey and cook until meat is done. Remove turkey, crumble any remaining chunks and reserve.
- Mix cottage cheese, yogurt and sliced basil, being sure to keep a few teaspoons for garnish. Season with salt and pepper. Combine well and adjust seasoning.
- Spread a thin layer of crushed tomatoes to coat the bottom of a 12-by-10-Inch baking dish. Layer oven-ready lasagna sheets on the bottom of the tray. (If you don’t have oven-ready sheets, bring a pot of water to a boil, salt it, then cook sheets until al dente then remove, being careful to keep intact and lay them straight.)
- Evenly spread half of the cottage cheese-yogurt mixture across the bottom layer of pasta. Evenly sprinkle low-fat mozzarella across the top. Evenly ladle crushed tomatoes over the cheese, reserving enough for two more layers of pasta.
- Top with pasta sheets. Evenly ladle crushed tomatoes over the pasta. Evenly distribute the mushrooms over the sauce, then do the same with the ground turkey. Evenly ladle crushed tomatoes over the meat, sprinkle with mozzarella and top with more pasta sheets.
- Evenly spread the rest of the cottage cheese-yogurt mixture across pasta. Evenly spread the chopped spinach on top. Evenly ladle half of the remaining crushed tomatoes over the spinach, sprinkle with mozzarella and top with final pasta layer.
- Distribute the rest of the crushed tomatoes over the top layer. Sprinkle mozzarella over the top, cover with foil and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Remove, let cool for 5 minutes, then serve.